Companies which are active agents of society have a great influence over it to generate changes on three different levels - employees, community and environment. Being aware of this situation, companies have the responsibility of generating initiatives that maximize their positive influence in the development of their activities. Therefore, the Radisson Royal Cali Hotel has been conducting different activities pursuing a positive development of society and environment.
The activities carried out were directed to three fundamental levels, showing the great heart the Radisson Royal Cali Hotel has.
- Heart with our employees
- Heart with our community
- Heart with our environment
HEART WITH OUR EMPLOYEES
- Halloween Celebration: Every year on Halloween, we celebrate with all the hosts of the hotel. Everyone has the opportunity to dress up and do a parade to share a pleasant afternoon.
- Health Week (August 12, 2012): This is an activity that is practiced annually for all employees. We attempt to prevent and/or detect eventual diseases, and give practical advice to take care of ourselves.
- Emergency Brigade Training (October 15th 2012): This event is held every year for all employees to be aware of safety procedures and extinguisher operation in case of an emergency.
- "Life Plan" Social Program: Knowing the importance of our employees, we have invited them to a workshop to orient them with financial or familial issues, housing credits and training in different matters which encourages the improvement of quality of life.
- Birthday Celebration: We celebrate the birthdays of our collaborators on a monthly basis, inviting them to a special lunch with a present for everyone so they feel like family.
- Employee of the Quarter and Employee of the Year: Every three months, we celebrate with a ceremony to award “The Employee of the Quarter”, which recognizes one employee for his dedication and commitment with a cash prize and a commemorative plaque exhibited to the public. Rewarded employees are chosen by their own colleagues. We also celebrate the Employee of the Year, who is chosen from all four “employees of the quarter” of the year. This employee is rewarded with an all-expense-paid trip for himself and a companion.
- Valentine´s Day: We celebrate Valentine's Day, where all staff has the opportunity to express their affection for their coworkers.
- Women's Day: On this special day, the male staff took shifts to serve women during lunch. This celebration was held to give women a small sample of all the care and attention they deserve.
HEART WITH OUR COMMUNITY
Visit to the Casita de Belén children’s home August 17 2012: Casita de Belén is an institution which protects and supports children and families in the construction of life projects, and to help them to integrate into society as dignified and responsible human beings. Therefore, the main purpose of their work is to enrich the terms of socialization as a basic strategy to promote the harmonious development of children, improve the family environment, qualifying rearing practices and education, and to gradually transform the meaning of childhood and family life.
“We went to visit the children to spend some quality time with them, playing, giving them some presents, serving some food, talking to them and listening to their needs. They were very happy and grateful for this afternoon. Full of surprises for them as well for us.”
HEART WITH OUR ENVIRONMENT
Program for efficient use of energy (energy savings from January to October 2012):
- Savings for more than $15.500.000 COP (over $8,500 USD)
- 48.006KWH not consumed, equivalent to:
- Planting 5 hectares corresponding to 1994 trees
- Taking 5 cars out of circulation
- Providing energy to 27 households for a year with a monthly average consumption of 150 kWh
- October closed with a saving of 9.3%, the best result since the program began on February the 1, 2012. This saving is equivalent to the energy consumption of three days, with a daily average consumption of 4665 kWh.
- Earlier this month, the air-conditioned was tested in the whole hotel, and we found that the temperature in all areas was higher but with lower power consumption by optimizing the flow of cold water.
- The month ends with a display of 39.51 kWh/Room, an excellent number compared within the hotel industry.
- Recycling: We strengthened the solid waste management program, emphasizing to all of our collaborators the importance of this activity. We also hired a special company to collect all recycled materials and ensure the proper disposal of them. A series of recycling trainings were sponsored by the recycling company. This training included different activities to inform all staff of the huge impact of this activity and show them the benefits that recycling provides to the planet.
- Hazardous Material Disposal: The Radisson Royal Cali is fulfilling its goal of being responsible for the environment by starting a program for the collection and storage of hazardous materials and other dangerous waste, thereby reducing environmental impact.
- Adoption of Green Spaces: Radisson Royal Cali has adopted a green space next to the hotel to contribute to environmental protection and improving the quality of life of local residents. The hotel performs maintenance and protection of this area. With this initiative, we expect to improve landscaping of the area and generate respect for green spaces in locals, showing an example of the commitment of the hotel to the care and protection to these spaces.
We have been awarded a 3 key rating from the Green Key Eco-Rating Program - recognizing us as a hotel that has taken significant steps to protect the environment. Strong environmental programs, best management practices, training programs and engineering solutions have been implemented which have benefited the environment and the local community.