Capitol Ave at Michigan Ave, Capitol Tour & Information Service, Lansing, MI 48909 517-373-2353
DOWNTOWN. Architect Elijah E. Myers completed the Wolverine State's Renaissance Revival-style state capitol building in...
DOWNTOWN. Architect Elijah E. Myers completed the Wolverine State's Renaissance Revival-style state capitol building in 1879. During an extensive renovation program in the early 1990s, much of the building's original Victorian decorative artwork was preserved; thus, the capitol is a proud example of old blending with new. Guided tours of this designated National Historic Landmark include stops by the House and Senate galleries. Also part of the Capitol Complex are the Library of Michigan, whose 3.2 million-item collection requires more than 25 miles of shelving; the Michigan Historical Museum, which chronicles the states history from prehistoric to present day times; and the State Archives, which contains over 100 million public documents, private records, photographs, and maps.
Hours: Capitol open Mon-Fri 8am-5pm, Tours offered Mon-Fri 9am-4pm
E Grand River Ave at Turner St, Lansing, MI 48906 517-485-4283
OLD TOWN. Take a new glimpse at Lansing's original business district. Turn-of-the-century buildings, many of which had...
OLD TOWN. Take a new glimpse at Lansing's original business district. Turn-of-the-century buildings, many of which had fallen into disrepair as businesses followed the late 20th century's \"move to the 'burbs,\" now house trendy art galleries and artist studios like Haze and Creole. In addition, this quaint part of town has become a haven for antique hounds, who spend entire afternoons perusing Tom's and Spiderhouse. An eclectic mix of restaurants and nightlife includes Wild Rose Cafe and Spiral Dance Bar.
100 E North St, Lansing, MI 48906 517-483-4220
OLD TOWN. Marion and James Turner, one of Lansing's most important families, built this Classical Revival home on the...
OLD TOWN. Marion and James Turner, one of Lansing's most important families, built this Classical Revival home on the banks of the Grand River in 1857. Daughter Abby married Frank Dodge and, in 1900, the two of them enlarged the house to its present size. Today, the house sits on eight acres of protected parkland, and its restored interior features hand-crafted oak woodwork, French leaded glass windows, and 12-ft. tin ceilings. Outside, telltale Ionic columns dominate the front facade; meanwhile, a quaint heritage garden with a pergola sits adjacent to the house. Tour guides don period apparel and have interesting trivia tidbits to share. For an additional fee, tours include hot raspberry tea and homemade cookies.
Hours: Tue-Fri 10am-4pm
Payment Methods: Visa , Master Card , Diner's Club
5151 Marsh Rd, Meridian Township Central Park, Okemos, MI 48864 517-347-7300
OKEMOS. The Meridian Historical Village, located 10 minutes east of downtown Lansing near Meridian Mall, takes a look at...
OKEMOS. The Meridian Historical Village, located 10 minutes east of downtown Lansing near Meridian Mall, takes a look at the area's 19th-century heritage, a time when settlers were still taming this part of Central Michigan. Noteworthy features include the Grettenberger Farmhouse (circa 1863), Heathman-Herre House (a two-story brick home circa 1877), Proctor Tollgate House (circa 1850), and the old Randall Schoolhouse (1883), which was moved from Fowlerville in 1987. The village hosts several family-friendly programs throughout the year, including Music in the Park and an Old Fashioned Christmas.
Building Tours (May - Oct) Sat 10am-2pm
Other Events and Programs
Event Dates and Times Vary
100 W Lawrence Ave, Charlotte, MI 48813 517-543-6999
CHARLOTTE. A beautiful reminder of the bygone era of town squares and tree-lined city streets bustling with foot...
CHARLOTTE. A beautiful reminder of the bygone era of town squares and tree-lined city streets bustling with foot traffic, Eaton County's Courthouse Square dates back to the latter half of the 19th century and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The square's primary structures are the 1873 sheriff's residence, built in the Second Empire style, and the Renaissance Revival-style courthouse, which was completed in 1885. Today, the courthouse is open to visitors, who will find there the Eaton County Genealogical Society, family-friendly programs and events, a restored courtroom, the judge's chambers, and exhibits relating to Mid-Michigan history.
Hours: Tue-Thu 9am-4pm
Payment Methods: Cash Only