Enjoy Endless Exploring at the Exploratorium
- Hours: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Address: Piers 15/17, San Francisco, CA 94111-1456
- Phone: +1 (415) 528-4360
- Website: exploratorium.edu
- Museum Map
In addition to its vast galleries, the museum offers mind-boggling events on various subjects. Be sure to check the Exploratorium calendar for the complete and most up-to-date schedule of upcoming free days and special events.
Free Days: Groundhogs Day, Pi Day, Mother’s Day and other holidays are open for free exploring!
Thursday Nights: Every Thursday night, adults 18 and over can take their turn playing with hundreds of hands-on exhibits from 6-10 p.m. for $15 ($10 for Members).
After Dark: Grab a nightcap and throw on your thinking cap at the museum’s “After Dark” event from 6-10 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month. Each night showcases a different engaging topic and film screenings. Attendees can also indulge in delicious snacks and cocktails at the SeaGlass Restaurant.
There are hundreds of captivating exhibits at the Exploratorium that play with your perspective. Here are just a few of our favorites:
Tactile Dome – West Gallery
The Tactile Dome, a San Fran favorite, is an interactive maze designed to heighten your senses by crawling, sliding and bumping your way through its chambers in complete darkness. Each pitch-black excursion lasts about an hour. Note: admission is an additional $15 ($12 for Members) and reservations are required.
Rickshaw Obscura – Outdoor Gallery
The Rickshaw Obscura is a contraption mounted on a three-wheeled bike, ready to roam the flat streets of San Francisco. Inside the creation, passengers can see beautiful views of the city…upside-down. Based off the classic camera obscura, the Rickshaw Obscura flips the outside images so passengers inside are wondering the city upside-down.
Monochromatic Room – Central Gallery
See the world in sepia like an old-time photograph. The Monochromatic Room is lighted by sodium vapor laps that emit a single wavelength of yellowish light, emitting all other colors. Bring colors back to life using white light from flashlights. From toddlers to scientists, this exhibit has something for everyone!
Know Before You Go
- Buy your tickets online - Avoid long ticket lines and have more time for exploring! Bay Area natives receive local rates.
- Park at the Embarcadero Center (Lots 1-4) - Lots 1-4 offer a $10 flat rate, which is the less expensive in the area. Don’t forget to validate your parking ticket at the museum!
- Prepare for plenty of exploring - There’s A LOT to see and do at the Exploratorium. Bring snacks, wear comfortable shoes, and make sure your phones and cameras are charged!