About a 10-minute walk from the Radisson hotel in downtown Ottawa, Parliament Hill impresses visitors with its magnificent Gothic architecture and inspires them with a look at the country’s history, art, politics and culture.
Three structures stand on Parliament Hill, or Colline du Parlement: the Centre Block,* the East Block and the West Block. With its Gothic Revival architecture, Centre Block is the most prominent of the three and is a symbol of Canada’s heritage. The East and West blocks both contain federal offices and galleries and reflect Victorian High Gothic architecture.
Queen Victoria statue
The statue of Queen Victoria was a gift from the queen's grandson, who later became King George V. Because Queen Victoria played an influential role in Canada’s history, the city of Ottawa commemorates her in various ways. Queen Street, where the hotel is located, is named after her.
Parliament Hill walking tours
Hear the stories of some of Canada’s most famous landmarks when you take a 30-minute, guided walking tour of Parliament Hill. You can also attend a live senatorial debate, available free of charge seven days a week.
Want a group or private guided tour of Parliament Hill? Book directly through the hotel by contacting the concierge in the front lobby or by phoning the hotel directly at +1 (613) 236-1133.
*Please note: The Centre Block is slated to close in 2018 for a decade-long renovation project. A new Visitor Welcome Centre is currently under construction. Check the official Parliament Hill website for more details on how your visit might be affected.
Walking directions to Parliament Hill:
- Begin at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, 402 Queen St.
- Go northeast on Queen St (Rue Queen) toward Bay St (Rue Bay) for 1.5 km.
- Turn left onto Lyon St N (Rue Lyon N) and continue for 750 m.
- Turn right onto Sparks St (Rue Sparks) and continue for 500 m.
- Turn left onto O’Connor St (Rue O'Connor) and continue for 750 m.
- Turn right onto Wellington St (Rue Wellington) and continue for 800 m.
- Turn slight left onto walkway and continue for 200 m.
- Turn right onto Parliament Hill (Colline du Parlement) and continue 20 m.
- End at Centre Block, Parliament Hill.